Sunday, August 24, 2008

Shattered Memories

My roomie nicknamed me a target. A target for breaking stuff and dropping lit cigarretes, used to be referred to as "pulling a paige". I haven't broken a glass in awhile, and even earned kudos from roomie on this fact Thursday night at Red Brick Station. Inspired by Vanilla Basil most recent post about travels I must count myself as extremely lucky to have traveled so much in my life so far. Upon these travels I tend to collect stuff (books mostly) and after a few moves I have misplaced a lot of them. Some of my favorites are my swim suit cover up worn when I went swimming with sea lions and penguins in the Galapagos, my copy of Dracula from Cambridge England, my beach mat from Cambridge MD, my Hofbrau house green sweatshirt from Germany, my Fez carpet and my favorite collection of Hotel Ashtrays from Morocco. If I didn't break it in Marseilles, and didn't break it in Oman, I even didn't break it in Casablanca ... I'm sure you would bet 10,000 francs that I would break it and I did break my favorite Moroccan ashtray today, the one from Hotel La Mamounia. Churchill called it " themost beautiful place in the world."

Places I still have to see
Italy: Coliseum, Parthenon
Greece: To replace Renee Zarkos' dad's prayer beads from 5th grade project
Hungary; Budapest (and perhaps Prague Castle District)
Netherlands: Anne Frank's House
Romania: Count Dracula's Castle
Spain: Basque Bilbao Museum
Portugal: so I can say "the Plane to Lisbon"
Iceland: for the ice ice baby
Egypt: Nile Cruise, Aswan Dam, Abu Simbel, Pyramids of Giza
Kenya: The Masai Mara
Tanzania: Safari
China: Lhasa (Tibet), Three Gorges Dam, Warriors of Xi'an, Hong Kong, Beijing
India: Uttar Pradesh Taj Mahal & Varanasi
Cambodia: The Silver Pagoda and Angkor Wat
Jordan: Petra
Fiji; Um Fiji, to see the coconuts
New Zealand: To Zorb down a mountain and find the lord of the rings
Mexico: Teotihuacan & Monarch Butterfly migration Michoacan Feb/Mar
Guatamala: Tikal
Peru: Machu Picchu
Chile: Easter Island
Mali: Timbuktu for the mosques and to say "I'm going to Timbuktu how about you?"

1 comment:

una donna dolce said...

I'm sorry to hear you broke your Moroccan Treasure! I was so sad when I broke the spoon rest I got in Positano. Oh well, it gives us excuses for going back!

Hey, if you haven't been around to this site already you should take a look: http://www.101cookbooks.com/

She has all kinds of yummy veg-friendly stuff! (Cause god knows my recent posts aren't helping anything, including my own waistline).