Thursday, August 07, 2008

Olympic Eve "Made In China"

Photo KSL
Great show on PBS last night about China. On the eve of the summer olympics opening ceremonies, I remember the energy and excitement I felt that winter in Salt Lake 2002. The entire world watching our city, the world symbols of the torch and the olympic rings on the mountain I would watch as I drove to my first year of teaching job that winter. I do not miss driving in snow (MD teachers usually get the day off for snow:) but I do fondly remember driving over the highway with those rings glowing and the torch flame. I also remember the feeling to "wake up and find out that you are the eyes of the world". And I hope that the eyes of the world look upon China, they have 1 B more people than us, increasing their middle class faster than the 50s here, AND have absolutely ZERO environmental legislation. I will be using China as a theme for the environmental classes this year to compare to US. So take a deep breath of not so clean air and enjoy the commercial event of the summer, while buying China made products from Evil Mart. I will. Mostly so I don't have to watch ESPN yammer on about F**ing Brett Fn Favre (JETS??? jets jets jets, you jest)

2 comments:

Nik said...

Ack. Zero environmental legislation? Zero.
Ouch.
My lungs hurt.

chancelot said...

You should read my post on the olympics.