Saturday, June 21, 2008

Plans?

©2008 Douglas Pulsipher
As I'm preparing for my departure, I remember what I did last Thursday when I walked off the plane, saw the mountains, and smiled. I laughed a little at how happy I was and how it felt like the mountains were actually hugging me and welcoming me home. Then I couldn't wait to run into them, crawl on them, make a few footprints in their trails. And today, I feel I need to sneak under the shadow of these mountains, sneak away before they notice I'm gone. I'm always shocked each time I come home that the jutting edge of the granite cliff of Mt. Olympus hasn't changed yet, or the one tree on that one tree hill is still there, lonely, or the red butte, the snake rocks, or the hippo have not changed form. Unlike me, they remain here, remain unchanged, remain solidly blocking the view and impedeing the path to the east.

Thursday was spent doing normal summery type things. Naps, tans, swimming, movies. I liked Breech and Oceans 13, perfect summer movies. I went to Gramma's again and then met my sisters for a quick glass of wine before Otterbutt went to reading and Thirtyone went to work wedding "reception, glass of wine in her hand". I sat on the back porch with DiscGolfer watching the kids swing and enjoying the weather. Very lovely. Then went out on the green with Econtrario, who contrario to popular belief, may actually not be dead inside.

Friday Maestra and I (when the party from the night before actually ended) went up the canyon to do some shopping and a little lunch and a big bottle of KJ. We had a wonderful time and I spent a little too much on kayaking clothes, but it was fun. It was so sad to be standing in a TJ MAxx parking lot where I used to look over my favorite meadow at the base of Park City. A little sad I didn't buy a plot of land there in 1976 and a little sad that it is gone, replaced by malls and parking lots. Immediately back to nap mode, I actually slept during the day for 1.5 hours. Thought someone was with me when I woke up, but nope.

Then went shopping with Z and Otterbutt, made 7 layer dip for the family party. Sat on the porch with family, minus the men plus the cousins, and laughed and drank port after the sun went down. Cried a little too much or too little.

The iPhone would like to remain silent due to self incrimination. But I could mention that the iPhone is cool because it can send emails, photos, text, google, and make calls.

1 comment:

Nik said...

Your description of the mountains hugging you is gorgeous. It is always surprising that the mountains don't change while we're gone. Good mountains. Great writing here. Might steal it.