Tuesday, July 01, 2008

UMCES ESEP CTRF HPL


University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science
Enviornmental Science Education Partnership
Chesapeake Teacher Research Fellowship
Horn Point Lab

WHEW! Now I know where I am and my names we're all set for the experiment.
Website
Research Question:
Do submerged aquatic vegetation (SAV) native to the Chesapeake Bay have a Phase II (secondary) dispersal mechanism after germination that is caused by light quality or light duration that influences seed buoyancy due to photosynthetic gas production in the laccuna?

Hypothesis:

If we expose germinated seeds (9 days) to full strength sunlight (1800 µmol photons m-2 sec-1) then the seeds will become buoyant allowing for a secondary dispersal method to colonize another environment. The null hypothesis is seed buoyancy will not be influenced by light.

1 comment:

Nik said...

This is the real reason I'm not a scientist. I can't like hypothesis- speak.
He he on the don't squeeze Z too hard!