Wednesday, December 03, 2008

You had me at Ni hao (parenthetically)

In true P fashion, I am learning Chinese and putting the words into Beatles song lyrics. No idea why. "You say Zai jiao and I say Ni Hao" for example. I'm pretty sure I'm be able to handle Revolution number 9 from the white album as well. (Don't want to get too ahead of myself Can't wait for Rocky Racoon!)

Learning Chinese (for four days) has really taught me about learners. I have to begin planning my lessons with their questions in mind. Perhaps their questions will be less annoying if I anticipated them. Except the dreaded can i go to the bathroom or will you accept this late. UGH. But on behalf of my pre-K friends (Ice Rock and Baby Mama) at least they don't ask me to help them to the bathroom.

Also, finishing up grad school this semester has also taught me a lot about learners, especially with the interactive online class about physical science. It's sorta like blogging and cooler than a textbook because the hyperlinks, movies, and flash stuff is pretty cool. Only you need each kid to have a computer or they get bored. If you're interested go to my wiki www.walkerworld.pbwiki.com
to see my new online assignments.

As for my "big kid" science grad classes, the seminars were interesting about ant parasites and orchid's duping wasps. The cancer class is great. Still have a paper and an exam in that class so its not that wonderful. Again insight into giving an exam to my kids the same day they have them in every other class (last tuesday).

Saw Jupiter in Venus next to the moon Monday night Very cool.

http://www.astroengine.com/?p=2397

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-156473?ref=email
Also on the horizon... china meetings, conferences, the Trivia Tournament of Champions!, faculty parties, b days, holiday cheer, football, and Fridays in general. As for learners here, remember they will be tired too.

1 comment:

Nik said...

I saw that venus and jupiter and moon combo. That was pretty righteous. I hope that by the time you get home for break, you've got the chinese rocky racoon, well rockin'.
I can't believe you're done with grad school. Really? I don't think I knew that. Good luck on your last paper and exam!