Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Long Day

Kids were off the hook today! yelling, fighting, talking, criticizing, interrupting, rude. Never let them see you sweat!!!!

Seriously... "why don't we do labs" "why is this lab boring" "why don't you have kleenex" "why were you just talking about grandmas" "why can't we blow stuff up" "why can't I go to the bathroom". I'm leaving off the question marks because they are said as critical statements, not questions.

But I did, in my calm rant about procedures, get to say "I know you're more than a test score". And I am really behind in my grading.

The rest of the week I am to find out about each kid. And respond to each critical question/statement with a philosophical dichotomy... "Why do you think we don't do labs?" "Why do you think this lab is boring, write a paragraph explaining your evidence" "Why do you think I may be out of kleenex?" "I'm glad you asked that? Who can tell me why I was making a reference to being comfy at grandma's house compared to being in the classroom learning?" "What would happen if we really conducted a lab that blew up? Develop a scientific method inquire about how to blow something up. Can you come to coach class or after school and I will explore that idea with you?" and finally... "why can't I go to the bathroom? If I can't, you can't okay?"

3 comments:

Shaaban said...

Hi kendall,
How are you. I moved to Atlanta and I am currently teaching high schoo chemisrty. I enjoy my work down here, done with the Baltimore crap.
Just checking in, I will right more next time. OOh by the way, I will be headed to Tanzania next year. If it is still in your bucket list, I can help you to cross it out.

cheers,

Shaaban

P said...

Hi Shaaban!

How's Atlanta? It sounds great. I am interested in the Tanzania trip. Let me know!! What an exciting idea!

Kitindi said...

Hi Kendall,
So now I have concrete information about my trip to Tanzania next summer. It is definately happening. I have not chosen the dates yet. If you are still interested let me know...sfundi1@jhu.edu or 443 739 7146.
Atlanta is great and am loving it.Check my blog sometimes as well. It is www.habari-za-kibogoji.com I hope you will find it to be quite interesting. Hope to hear from you.

cheers,
Shaaban