Thursday, September 23, 2010

2/3 is 80%. 5/10 is 75%. 0/10 is 25%.

I am so bummed. I thought I was doing well.

I thought the little amount of socializing in the class was normal.

But...Alas... it turned into quite the disorganized, loud, out of control, throwing markers, disaster of a scene. Every teachers' worst nightmare. (This could be the scene in the movie they make about me where I regain composure of the class with a song, or a snickers bar, or a sargeants bugle.... No. Little miss hootie voice herself is saying in her stern voice I tried to learn at Indiana Jones training school for dogs...) "Sit down!" "Those still standing, you have detentions" Miraculously at this moment in actual life I pictured the principal of the "Breakfast Club. "Do you want another one? And another one? I own you"... We are now in two movies or three at once in this paragraph... Can you mix movie plots or is that like mixed metaphors? Anyway, in walked Teacher X.

I thought that the learning objective was on the board. The students recorded the vocabulary homework. Question 2 in the packet had them analyze the objective and write a sentence about the objective...

But...Alas... my objective was written incorrectly. In walked Head Honcho Y.


I thought grading on the point scale for completion and accuracy is what I should do.

And I was doing well. All assignments were graded, returned, and uploaded to the computer online system an ENTIRE WEEK before they were due. I need to give a test. I need to see some writing. But basically, I had 10 assignments classwork, 2 assignments homework, and 2 quizzes. On a roll. Warned about quiz, reviewed for quiz, practiced the quiz...

But...Alas...my grading scale was computed incorrectly according to Teacher Z.

The Advise...

"Honey, I don't play! 3-2-1" Teacher X. And the class was quiet.

"Write your lesson objective to do_________________ in order to know __________ DON'T DEVIATE" Head Honcho Y.

"The average student will probably only do 75% of the assignment so an average of the average is 60%. Therefore, you should change how you grade from that crazy point system that i don't understand, and grade students on a 3 2 1 scale. If 3 is outstanding, and 2 is satisfactory, 1 is unsatisfactory the grading scale shouldn't be 100%, 66%, and 33%. If A,B,C,D are 90-80-70-60, then we need to rank all numbers above 50 as the criteria. Therefore, if a student doesn't complete the assignment, but attempts the assignment, they should have 50% score. Therefore, give kids that did all of it 100, some of it 70 and none or little(or none) 50." Teacher Z

No comments: