Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Summer Sweet Corn

Otterbutt's new house, new backyard, new neighborhood, new internet connection, new grocery store, new lake, new birds, new bugs, new mosquito bites, new school, new mailman, new sheets, new broom, new mop, new garbage can... is beautiful, clean, fresh like sheets outside on the line - full of promise, excitement - and inevitable mess to clean again. But exciting none the less.

Not as plain as the Iowa countryside, full of corn as tall as I am as far as you can see, it surrounds your entire soul. Made me want to lay down and watch the clouds - I was very sleepy. I will spare the details of the trip except to say we spent most of it either at Wal-mart or on the couch. I read Anna Karenina almost all the way (150 pgs to go) and my man got me a new laptop exactly like the one he broke. Oh yeah we ate corn!

1 comment:

Nik said...

Yep, it's a mess again. Though it was almost 100% cleaned up by Monday. We steam-cleaned the carpets and the couch. Erik swept out the carport. Ellie did 400 loads of laundry. I unpacked and unpacked and unpacked. You, KJ, set up the whole kitchen while your lt. and Rick and Erik broke their back carrying boxes. I don't know how we'd done it without you.
Or 31 and her trailer-wielding husband on the other end. Too much work everyone. Thank you.